fees FREE Studies*
Our government has just announced their fees free policy and AMES - The Institute of IT's courses are eligible!
All New Zealanders who have completed less than half a fulltime year of post-school education or training will be eligible to study 'FEES-FREE' next year. Plus, student allowances and student loan living costs will be increased by $50 a week.
WHAT YOU NEED TO DO NEXT:
- As a current student you may still be eligible for some of your fees to be covered or to progress onto another course so please speak to the AMES student recruitment team to help you work out what your options are and how you can take advantage of fees-free study. You don’t need to do anything to access fees-free, if you are eligible the Tertiary Education Commission will pay your fees.
- If you need a student loan next year for course related costs or living costs and do not already have one you will still need to apply through Studylink. It is important that you complete your Studylink application by the end of this year. Their process hasn’t changed. This is done on their website at www.studylink.govt.nz
If you need any assistance with applying for Studylink just contact one of the friendly team at your campus. If you have already have a student loan or living costs allowance you don’t need to do anything else.
You can check if you're eligible for fees-free study using the tool on the fees-free website. It's a good idea to do this before applying for student support for 2018 so you know whether to ask for a loan for your fees.
Fees-free starts from 1 January 2018 so tell your friends and family looking for a career pathway about the policy and increased allowance, they can speak to the AMES recruitment team for help or visit www.feesfree.govt.nz.
We encourage you to apply early and provide your supporting documents promptly to ensure your applications are sorted for the start of your study.
From 1 January 2018, Student Allowance rates will increase by $50 a week.
Where the rate reflects the living costs of 2 adults, the increase will be $100 a week.
No changes are being made to eligibility rules for Student Allowances.
- single students aged under 24 and living away from home will go from $177.03 to $227.03 a week
- single students with children will go from $329.57 to $379.57 a week
- couples with children (where 1 partner is not enrolled in more than half of a full-time course) will go from $379.34 to $479.34 a week.
If you're getting a Student Allowance, you won't need to do anything to receive the increased rate.
*Term dates are subject to change, pending enrolment numbers, availability and any unforeseen funding fluctuations. AMES reserves the right to modify schedules to best accommodate the internal running of the institute and to best serve the student learning experience.
**Animation College, as the registered PTE, awards all of the qualifications that are offered by AMES - The Institute of IT.
*** Source: www.careers.govt.nz & www.mbie.govt.nz